What this blog is about.....

Stories about Long Island....including --Long Island Dining, Businesses on Long Island & things worth doing on Long Island


About Me

My photo
Hi, I am Deborah and "I LOVE NYC". I was lucky enough to move back for 2 years 2010-2012 and lived like a tourist in NYC for those two years in the Hudson Yards area at 505W37. Right now I reside on Long Island but stay at different hotels in NYC a few times a year. I hope to move back soon.

Friday, March 29, 2013

Meet Our Neighbor: Power Fitness - Long Island Businesses

I am excited to feature this month's "Meet Our Neighbor" series. Each month, I spotlight one of our fabulous North Shore business neighbors. This month, we have a workout with Power Fitness





To ring in a new century of fitness, lifetime Glen Head resident, Justin Miller, did one of his favorite things. He took action and opened Power Fitness in his hometown in January, 2000.
“When I was 19 years old, an amazing man named Tony Robbins indirectly saved my life,” says Miller. “Someone who worked for Robbins literally pulled me from a car wreck, brought me to the hospital and saved my life. He handed my mom his business card in the ER. We lost that card and I never got a chance to thank him but, as a result, I took interest in, and began to study, Tony Robbins.”

Miller actually started out in the fitness business as a personal trainer when he was just 16 years old, after answering a help wanted ad for front desk help at a small gym in Syosset. “The owner was impressed with my knowledge and made me a personal trainer. I have expanded on that knowledge over the last 24 years of my life with many athletic achievements, certifications and working with thousands of people to help them improve their lives through fitness.”

What’s behind the name, “Power Fitness?” Miller explains: “Tony Robbins defines ‘power’ as the ability to take action. It’s one thing to know what to do but it’s another thing to do what you know. The power in our lives comes from taking action.”

Robbins wasn’t Miller’s only inspiration for lunging into the fitness business. “Jack LaLanne is my idol,” says Miller, “and before he died, I promised him I would carry on his life’s work.”




What Miller loves most about the fitness business is “the ability to make a positive contribution to people’s lives, often in very dramatic ways. Power Fitness is a warm place that cares about your results and wants you to come use the facility and make positive improvements in your life. This increases our energy here as well.”
Miller does not necessarily subscribe to all the latest and greatest fitness fads. “No need to reinvent the wheel,” he says. “Results always come down to the basics and fundamentals and following through.”
In fact, Miller says, “The most important piece of equipment at Power Fitness is called ‘inspiration,’ and it’s a powerful one. It can change your life and the lives of those around you.”
 
It’s hard not to be inspired at Power Fitness with more than 400 inspirational quotes lining the walls and equipment. “We have quotes everywhere,” he says. “In fact, we have more quotes than any other gym anywhere in the world,” says Miller. “Sometimes people come in just to read the positive quotes on the walls, floors, ceiling and equipment. It’s funny, but I love it, it makes me feel like all the positive energy is getting out there in the community and our world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment